Have you felt inspired lately? What inspired you?

By Dr GaryCA Latest Activity May 22, 2015 at 8:28 am Views 2,563 Replies 9 Likes 2

Dr Gary

“I feel inspired!”

When was the last time you said that?

Your first response to that question might range from “often” to “are you kidding?” When you’re living with the ups and downs of a chronic condition, inspired may feel like a word that belongs in someone else’s vocabulary. What’s inspiring about medication and self-care regimens? Bad days, sometimes one on top of the other? Living with the limits that your chronic condition may be placing on your life?

My personal definition of inspire is to give someone a push forward in a positive direction. I do it with my clients, my friends, and myself. And an inspiration is whatever gives you that push. And inspiration is accompanied by positive emotions, including happy or excited, on one hand, or calm and confident on the other.

Here are some examples of inspiration. An account of someone who has overcome a challenge against what seemed like impossible odds. Music that makes you want to leap out of your chair and sing. Words from a leader that cause you to look at life in a different way. An athlete who sets a new record. A scientist who has pushed the limits of what was considered possible.

I recently wrote an article about inspiration. Here’s a link:

http://www.rheumatoidconnect.com/rheumatoid-a...

Now, I am interested in knowing what inspires you. Something you do? Read? Watch? Listen to? Do you have people in your life who inspire you?

Any sources of inspiration to share?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (9 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Familymatters1980
    Familymatters1980 August 8 at 10:50 pm   
    Edited August 8 at 10:55 pm by Familymatters1980

Hello! My family is definitly my inspiration! Also my life ! I just watched a video on this site that definitly inspired me! Joy Ross story touched my heart ! I admire her strength and seeing her story gave me new hope :) My Father is my hero , and it truly breaks my heart to see him in pain ,although he always says " I'm fine" I know he's not :( I joined this site to get educated and to see how I can help my dad :)

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA August 9 at 7:23 pm   

Hey Familymatters, it's great to meet you. I am so glad you are here! You father is fortunate to have an adult child who is so dedicated to understanding his condition and being a support. Fantastic. You cam to the right place to get educated, and lots of support here, too! Welcome!

• Hotkajun
    Hotkajun January 24 at 4:20 pm   

Hello.

• jamesfongaro@hotmail.com
    jamesfongaro@hotmail.com September 30, 2015 at 9:41 pm   

Oh wow nice

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA October 11, 2015 at 10:31 pm   

Nice to see you! :))

• Punkiedoo
    Punkiedoo May 25, 2015 at 10:25 am   

Dr.Gary, Yes my Husband inspires me.He is always pushing to do things I like to do.I like to read,sing,dance,watch t.v..Ilike to talk to people on the computer also.I also like to spend time with my Husband and my dog.But dancing is hard for me to do now because n only do I have R. A. but I also have Mobility Problems. And I have to use a walker and cane when I go outside.I also have another chronic condition which is Type1Diabetes. Your are welcome for the Friend request.And I am looking forward to being friends and staying touch.Punkydoo

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA June 21, 2015 at 4:38 pm   

Hey Punkiedoo, it's great to see you. Your husband sounds like a pretty incredible guy! I'm sorry to hear about the mobility problems as well as the diabetes. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot. Really glad you have such good support from your husband, and that you are staying as active as you can in things you enjoy. That's so important. Looking forward to staying in touch with us. Gary

• Punkiedoo
    Punkiedoo July 7, 2015 at 12:26 pm   

Hi Gary, Yes my husband is a very incridableguy1!!! When he isn't yelling at me. Ihave a question to ask you. why dose trhe weather like when it's cold or when it rains out side dose it bother my rheumatoid arthritis? Punkiedoo

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA July 9, 2015 at 10:25 pm   

Hi! I am sorry to say that I a mental health professional and not a physician so your question is out of my league. I have heard similar comments from clients with arthritis. Hope you are having a good week.