What things do you wish you had known at the beginning of your journey with chronic illness?

By LanaPA Latest Activity September 27 at 12:47 pm Views 1,813 Replies 2 Likes 2

Lana

I have learned so much since becoming a chronic illness patient. I can hold my own with almost any doctor and even speak medicalese. I know about tests, medications, therapies, etc. but mostly what it takes to have a fulfilled life with chronic illness. But if I had only known then what I know now, I would have saved myself a lot of heartache, pain and bad health choices.

What things do you wish you had known at the beginning of your journey with chronic illness?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (2 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Anood
    Anood January 13 at 5:23 pm   

My mom has a chronic illness (Crohn's disease), and recently developed arthritis. What you have said sounds a lot like what my mother would always say, that she had learned more about this illness than what some medical student would know (I am a medical student, and I learn more by visiting hospitals with my mother than when I learn at college). My advice to any person who has been recently diagnosed with a chronic illness, educate yourself as much as you can! Participate in online communuities, ask your doctors, sit down with other patients and just try to earn more knowledge at any chance possible. As you said, it saves a lot of trouble and it might help in slowing the development of the disease. One more thing, I'd just like to say you are such a strong person to have gone through a chronic illness, and I wish you a great, healthy journey ahead!

• daughteroffire
    daughteroffire November 16 at 7:10 pm   

Be prepared for people not believing you because they can't see the pain you have on the inside.